Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I feel called...

Precursor:
Before I start, I want it to be clear that anything and everything I ever say or write comes from somebody else. I don't claim to be wise by any means. I just listen and read a lot. And so whenever I come to the blank whiteboard of iRescue, it is oftentimes because my thoughts and/or emotions just got sparked by something someone else said. This is definitely one of those times.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've heard MANY people use the term "calling". In fact, I myself have used the phrase, "I have been called into a full-time, life-time ministry." I, along with many people, use these words to try and communicate that we feel God has given us a specific "missional" assignment in the kingdom. But, now that I read and think more about it, I wonder if this type of language is misleading.

The truth is, Christian's have already been given The Call; it is inherent in being a disciple. If you are already a Christian that desires to use your passion and abilities to worship God and lead others into worshiping God, then you are a disciple. The call has already been issued: "Glorify Me in all that you do. Love and serve your neighbor. Go into the world and preach the gospel to every person." That's it.

Now, each person must evaluate how this call specifically relates to them. God does give direction like He did to Paul in Acts 16:8 as He told Paul to go to Macedonia. But this direction and guidance will always be in retrospect of the call that we already have.

So, I think that instead of waiting for "the call", we should go ahead and recognize that we have already all been called and find out how we can each individually best fulfill our missional role as Christ-followers.

For those brilliant mathematicians that like to get their hands dirty - go be the best engineer you can be. But don't forget your calling. For the skillful businessman with incredible leadership abilities - go run a thriving corporation. But don't forget your calling. And for that pastor that just cannot get away from the church - go preach and lead that congregation. But don't forget that your calling is the same as every other Christian's - love Jesus and tell others about Him.


For more on this, check out The Resurgence's new blog: http://theresurgence.com/greear_language-of-calling-part1

I'd like to hear what you think. My mind is still racing on this one and I am still unsure about all of my thoughts on this. Add a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you man. It's not a matter of wether or not you are called, it's a matter of what you are called to. Because, as Christians, we are all called to fulfill the Great Commission.
    1 Corinthians 12:4-6 "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men."
    1 Corinthians 12:27-28 "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues."
    God gives people different gifts, and we are to use those gifts to fulfill "the calling" (The Great Commission).
    I find it interesting that Paul includes the gift of administration with healing and speaking in tongues as a gift of the Holy Spirit.
    God has given me the ability to relate to teenagers, so I'm a Youth Pastor. That is how i fulfill the call If God has given somebody else the gift of administration, they should use that to fulfill the calling.
    So really, maybe when we use the term "I am called to ____" Maybe we should really say, "God has given me the gifts to ___" Because we are all called to fulfill the Great Commission, but we just each have different gifts in order to fulfill that call.

    ReplyDelete